The White House Easter Egg Roll of 2011 was about much more than chocolate bunnies.
Several celebrity chefs including Jacques Pepin, Spike Mendelsohn and Carla Hall set up stations as part of the “Play With Your Food” program of the roll, where healthy recipes were made using local, organic and sustainable ingredients.
More video below.
Hall made black bean and vegetable quesadillas, saying the Mexican dish made with a flour tortilla was the “new grilled cheese.” She gave a humorous metaphor about how it’s best not to go overboard on salt. Salt, Hall said, is like a compliment. Don’t use any and you won’t get complimented. Using too much, however, is like getting a backhanded compliment. In other words, don’t insult your taste buds or your health.
Mendelsohn demonstrated popsicles made from freshly squeezed fruits like pineapples, emphasizing that homemade popsicles were a much better alternative than ones available in stores that contain high fructose corn syrup. He also gave techniques for getting the most juice from fruits.
All chefs took children from the audience to help with the demonstration, making them assistants and little “sous chefs” for the afternoon.
Possibly Related Posts:
- Meatless Monday Recipe–Sarah Silverman Veggie Pot Pie (Video)
- Emily Deschanel And Hubby David Hornsby Expanding 2nd Child
- Meatless Mouthful–Jennifer Lopez Says Don’t Fear The Veggie
- RZA Wishes “A Better Tomorrow” For Animals In PETA Ad
- Meatless Mouthful–Alicia Silverstone Says Vegan No Longer Laughable