Nice little video of Rip Esselstyn, author of the Engine 2 Diet discussing how the firefighters of Austin, Texas’ Fire Engine Company #2 eat vegan during work shifts.
Rip encouraged the guys at Engine 2 to go veg after some were having medical problems like high cholesterol. According to the video, a study showed heart disease kills more firefighters than fire itself.
Esselstyn’s book, which helped Newsweek’s David Noonan go vegan and lose weight, was written after he was inspired to go veg from his father’s research. His father, Dr. Caldwell Essestyn says, “Having the USDA design your food pyramid is like having Al Capone do your taxes.”
Esselstyn’s entire family eats vegan and it looks like the family favorite food is kale (Watch aunt Esselstyn rip the leaves off that plant, yo)
Best quote of the day starts at the beginning of the video when Rip says, “Real men eat plants and boys meat meat.”
Rip thinks in the next five years eating meat will be such a social disgrace, taking your tenderloin away from the picnic gathering will be equal to asking a smoker not to smoke inside.
While he may be a little overly optimistic, with more people choosing to at least flex or reduce some meats in their diet, Rip’s definitely onto some future trend.
Possibly Related Posts:
- Meatless Monday Recipe–Mark Bittman Breakfast Couscous
- Lisa Rinna Ate Vegan Like Mary Lou Henner During “Celebrity Apprentice” (Video)
- “Super Size Me” Co-Creator Alex Jamieson Gives Up Vegan Diet
- Meatless Mouthful–Mark Bittman “Vegan Before Six” What Doctor Ordered
- “Beg: A Radical New Way of Regarding Animals” By Rory Freedman