Portia de Rossi is on the cover of the July/August 2011 issue of VegNews magazine.
Being a vegan may win you a lot of friends in some parts of the world, but even in 2011 there’s no guarantee you won’t be mocked, criticized and downright discriminated against.
But is being a vegan even tougher than being gay/lesbian/bisexual? Portia weighed in.
“Listen, I think it’s more difficult to be vegan than gay,” she said. “I think people have a harder time accepting it; people feel more uncomfortable with a vegan at their dinner table than they do a lesbian. It’s confronting. It’s kind of suggesting that what someone else is doing is bad or wrong, and it hits them on a more personal level. … If somebody is setting there eating a steak watching you eat polenta, they’re thinking that you’re trying to preach to them or you’re trying to convert them in some way. Whereas with being gay, I don’t think anyone’s concerned that that’s the agenda. “Hey, Mom, you also have to be gay. I’m gay and so should you be!” Certainly when I told her that I was vegan, it forced her to look at her habits.”
If being gay and vegan both carry difficulties, then Portia must be one tough vegan cookie!
Possibly Related Posts:
- Ellie Goulding Makes Vegan Burger On “Jamie And Jimmy’s Friday Night Feast”
- Ali Larter Considers Vegan Diet To Lose Baby Weight
- Christina Pirello Gives Tips For Maintaining Healthy New Year’s Resolutions
- “Masterchef” India Goes Vegetarian For A Season
- Meatless Monday Recipe–Jason Mraz Avocado Pudding Smoothie Guacamole