Padma Lakshmi grew up in a vegetarian household, but after moving to the United States she slowly adopted a diet of cheeseburgers and meat topped pizzas.
Now that she’s given birth to her first child, a baby girl, she may be setting a better example by putting both baby and herself back on a vegetarian diet.
“She eats what I eat,” Lakshmi told People. “She’s on a lacto-vegetarian Indian diet.”
“She’s still breastfeeding, that’s where the lacto part comes in. She can’t eat the spicy food that I love since it would be too hard on her system but other than that she’ll eat the foods that I make for her.”
If she continues to consume a well-balanced vegetarian diet, Lakshmi’s child will grow up just as healthy and develop normally like any other child would. Plus, if the child doesn’t sway like Lakshmi did and stays vegetarian as an adult, a recent study indicates she’ll have a 36% less chance of developing metabolic syndrome–a condition marked by high cholesterol and high blood pressure that could lead to diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
Congrats to Lakshmi for putting her baby on the right healthy track.
Besides, since she is a role model for a little one now, we think it’s best to lay off from filming all that meat porn.
Photo: PR Photos
Possibly Related Posts:
- Meatless Monday Recipe–Kerry Washington Glowing Green Smoothie (Video)
- Kathryn Prescott Consumes Vegan Frozen Yogurt On “Finding Carter”
- Steve Schirripa From “The Sopranos” Launches Vegan Organic Sauces
- Bill Clinton Elected By Americans For The Grill On “TODAY” (Video)
- Meatless Monday Recipe–Mayim Bialik Tomato Soup With Israeli Cousccous