Vegetarian and non-vegetarian celebrities are backing the new film that takes a look at factory farmed pork, Pig Business.
Sienna Miller, Stella McCartney and several other stars are all calling for a ban on factory farmed pork in Europe. Activists who created the film claim pigs are often kept in conditions against European Union law, such as slatted floors with no bedding.
“This is such an important subject,” McCartney said of the film. “To be aware is to have individual power. This film gives us the information we need to have to make a change as a consumer, to show government and food manufacturers we deserve better. And so do the pigs giving their lives in such a barbaric way. If we stop the demand they have to stop the cruelty and deceit.”
Although not a vegetarian, Pig Business does advocate ending the environmentally destructive practice of raising animals in factory farms, as well as the more humane treatment of animals that are farmed for food.
“Before I started researching the subject, I never truly realized the appalling extent to which pigs
– intelligent animals – were treated in certain parts of the world, Miller said. “I think we as meat-eaters have a responsibility to treat the animals we farm well, and that’s why I think Pig Business is an extremely important film. It really hammers home the darker side of the global pig farming industry – one that thankfully we don’t see generally here in the UK.”
Miller wants pork to be labelled so that consumers in Europe know if it was factory farmed.
Vegetarians may still get upset at the idea of “humane” meat, but steps taken towards better welfare can also lead to less suffering. If the only meat people choose to buy is non-factory farmed and more expensive, it may lead them to eat less of it.
Where do you stand?
Is a film like Pig Business a step in the right direction?
Or an advertisement for more “appropriate” forms of killing?
Photo: PR Photos
Possibly Related Posts:
- Best Vegetarian Stories Of 2015
- Victoria’s Secret Angels Dine On Plant-Based Food
- Pamela Anderson Does Sexy Vegan Cake Making For “Love “
- Moby Opens Little Pine Vegan Restaurant
- Jesse Einsenberg Celebrates “Thanksliving” During The Holidays (Video)