La Russa, a vegetarian, loves animals so much, his wife joked that he married her to get to the dog.
“When we got married, he wasn’t as hard-core as I was,” Elaine said. “His mother had a fear of them. I often joke he married me because I came with a dog and cat. Now we have hundreds or thousands.”
The ARF began when La Russa picked up a stray cat at a baseball game.
There were no no-kill shelters in the area of Walnut Creek, California, so Tony started his own.
Almost 20 years later, that kitty and almost 20,000 animals that have been adopted have thanked Tony.
Tony uses his celebrity status to garner corporate sponsors and donations to maintain the 37,000 square foot facility.
To learn more about Tony’s Animal Rescue Foundation, visit arf.net.
Possibly Related Posts:
- Jon Stewart and Wife Tracey Stewart Adopt Horse
- Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey Elephants Retire To Sanctuary
- SeaWorld Phasing Out Whale Breeding Program
- Best Vegetarian Stories Of 2015
- Morrissey Adds Vegan Touch To First In-Person Interview In Decade On “Larry King Now” (Video)