Written by Vegetarian Star on September 16th, 2008 in Actors.
Joaquin Phoenix (pronounced “WAA-keen”) took the named “Leaf,” as a child, reportedly because he had a little sibling rivalry and wanted a more “earthy” name like his brother and sister, Rain and the late River Phoenix.
He’s an actor who’s starred in films such as “Walk The Line,” the story of Johnny Cash, and once said that making movies involved a lot of manipulation:
“Making movies is a constant manipulation. You manipulate the environment. You make it rain when you want it to. You manipulate actors. And as an actor, you try and manipulate your feelings to match what you think you’d be going through in a situation where your character is going through something.”
One area he refuses to be manipulated in, however, is his personal beliefs. He refused to wear leather for many screen appearances, including going barefoot during a Prada shoot because the shoes were made of leather. He’s also requested fake leather for costumes in movies like “Gladiator” and “Quills”.
Possibly Related Posts:
- Meatless Mouthful–James Cameron Says Change Diet, Change The World
- Peter Sarsgaard Wonders Where The Meat Eating Actors Are
- Steve Schirripa From “The Sopranos” Launches Vegan Organic Sauces
- Slice Of Celebrity Vegan Birthday Cake To (Drum Roll)
- Jared Leto Ellen Page Voted PETA Sexiest Vegetarians