In a state as warm and sunny as Florida, you have to wonder why fur coats would ever be brought out during the Miss Florida USA pageant. Many activists have thought the same thing and have protested in numerous ways, including emailing former contestants and asking them to donate their furs.
The work has paid off and officials of the pageant have officially announced that fur has been eliminated from the competition.
For the past decade, the winner of the pageant received a full-length black mink coat. This item, along with other fur products, will no longer be used in the competitions.
Don Anthony of the Animal Rights Foundation of Florida said of the change, “The cruelty of fur has no place in a beauty pageant. We are very happy that Miss Florida USA will no longer be associated with this brutal trade. We wish the pageant, and all of this year’s beautiful contestants, success!”
Now that Florida has ended the tradition of using real fur in its pageants, will other states follow its lead?
Photo: PR Photos
Possibly Related Posts:
- Giorgio Armani Eliminates Fur From Fashion Lines
- Pamela Anderson Launches Vegan Shoes
- Nikki Reed Launches Freedom Of Animals Handbag Collection With Morgan Bogle
- Ellen DeGeneres Promotes Leather And Suede In New Shoe Line
- Morrissey Adds Vegan Touch To First In-Person Interview In Decade On “Larry King Now” (Video)